Clothing should speak to the simple beauty of the moment. For the perfect session, I recommend soft, neutral colors such as: cream, tan, brown, white, gray and if you want a little color: rose, peach, mint, or muted tones. For patterns, bring in small flowers, patchwork, and small stripes for the menfolk. Concentrate on textures, such a thick weaves and crocheted laces. Layer using similar tones to create added interest without being distracting.
Don’t try to match perfectly (and forget about everyone in white t-shirts with khaki pants!) Instead of color-coordinateding, concentrate on choosing tones and textures that compliment each other and keep the focus on your family and little ones.
For babies up to a year old, it’s best to limit to two outfit changes or less per session, to keep them from getting grumpy. I keep an ever-growing wardrobe at the studio that you are welcome to use, or if you have something special in mind, just make sure to keep it in line with the neutral tones and vintage styling so there will be a cohesive look and feel to your session. Of course, for newborns through six months, they look especially adorable in a simple diaper cover or bare bum.
Being a girl, I love Pinterest and have created several boards to help you visualize the exact look and feel we are going for:
If you would like a second opinion while going through your closet or shopping for something new, feel free to take a snapshot and email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I want you to look and feel great for your session!
Our favorite shops:
H&M- Both modern and vintage styles at reasonable prices.
Forever21- Flowing styles, accessories, and cute maternity wear.
Nordstrom Rack- Graceful, stylish fashions for mom and dad.
Free People- Unique clothes that are beautiful for both family and maternity sessions.
Carter’s- Classic options for babies and children’s.
Gap/Old Navy- Modern & classic styles for the whole family. And affordable!
- best in bare bum
- wrap in one of my newborn wraps
- we will choose from the headbands and/or hats provided at the studio, or you are welcome to bring your own, but remember to keep it very simple with no bright colors, oversized flowers, or character hats
- for mom~ neutral tones, such as a simple cream top and skirt, or a white maxi dress
- for dad~ a simple white/black/gray short sleeve shirt or button up
- for siblings~ white/gray/cream short-sleeve shirt. for girls, a simple dress or shirt and skirt (light-colored) works nicely
- vintage and classic is often the best look
- bare feet for studio (make sure feet are clean) or simple shoes for outdoor (example: mary janes, oxfords, boots)
- stay away from shirts that feature logos, characters, or busy patterns and from oversized headbands
- details work nicely: look for ruffles, lace, decorative trim
- tweed and pettiskirts are wonderful for little girls
- overalls or vests are wonderful for little boys
- try to compliment instead of coordinate (i.e.- matching outfits don’t work)
- skirts/dresses work well for the mom and daughter
- most often, shirts should be untucked for the guys
- accessorize! scarves, hats, headbands and such can make an image
- for a studio-style session: white, lacy dress or nightie, flowing top and jeans, or maxi dress
- for an outdoor session: maxi dress and sweater dress are best for our seasons
- this is one of those times you want to show off your beautiful belly, so don’t be afraid of a tighter fitting outfit or sheer top